[Kde-windows] KProcess overhaul

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Apr 15 17:24:17 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 04:46:02PM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> >8. it should be able to connect multiple processes with each other,
> >without the parent process being involved past the process creation.
> >mkisofs|cdrecord type of things, you know.
> >
> Isn't this the main task of inter process communication ussing pipes or
> shared memory ?

this IS about using pipes. ;)
usually one uses the shell to construct a pipe (in the sense of multiple
connected processes), but this involves shell-specific quoting rules and
restrictions and wastes resources.

> >9. on unix, it should be able to deal with ptys
> >
> Can you explain a non unix user for what this is good ?

pseudo-ttys ... the basis for terminal emulators and remote terminals
(except over serial lines, which are built into the kernel). a pty is
essentially a bi-directional pipe with an attached termios structure and
some glue around it.