KDE Wallet Manager: Once a wallet is open an application has access to all passwords there?

Jonathan Verner jonathan.verner at matfyz.cz
Thu Nov 14 14:32:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

thanks for your comments!

> 1. An executable path may not be the safest way to ensure the validity of a program. maybe a signed executable can do so in a better way, but this is a much more complicated way, especially because there must be someone who signs applications for you.

sure, it is not completely safe; but I don't think it is the responsibility of a
password manager to guard against tampered executables; and, signed
executables are not the panacea anyway, since they still may have bugs
allowing them to execute malicious code; note also that the app-armor
security framework relies on
paths to identify executables so I wouldn't dismiss the approach so easily

> 2. What if a binary moves? does this cause the loss of all stored passwords? That means you need at least an abstraction layer that can map a executable to an unique id.

I don't think this is such a big problem. Most binaries (think
browser, mail application) are system binaries which rarely, if ever,
move. And if they move, all that will be required is that the user
manually grant access to these moved binaries when they try to access
the passwords

> Anyway: I think it is very important to think about this. The current situation is very unsafe. i think nobody can ensure that the every part of his system works as expected.

I think so too. Luckily, kde is not (yet) popular enough for it to
attract malware authors ;-) But I think we should prepare...

Have a nice day,

Jonathan