KDE Wallet Manager: Once a wallet is open an application has access to all passwords there?

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Wed Nov 13 14:20:02 UTC 2013

FF wrote:
> Why not let the app access just the "folder" it asked to create?

Because it doesn't really gets you anything.

Suppose this is Konqueror, which asks for the password for some web
page. You can't fool it to ask for an IMAP password because that is an
entirely different path, that you can't trick Konqueror into using. Or
at least you can't get anywhere from that.

Now, that is save, what would you like to protect against? A local
attacker? If I want to get the IMAP password, I would just compile an
application that says "I'm KMail" and would get the password. So
restricting the access doesn't give you any bonus security. But it
creates more work to write the code, more possibilities to get things
wrong, and the false feeling of additional safety for everyone that is
not seeing the complete picture of the problem.

If you want to separate things you have to use different users, ssh -X
into them, and have all of them have separate wallets. Then you are sure
that any Konqueror (or whatever) can't access your IMAP password. But
when someone has enough power to do anything nasty to the uid that
browser runs with it is _very_ likely that accessing the other wallets
isn't very hard either.

Eike