[kcalc] /: merging in the change from 4.8 to master. I tried with "git merge KDE/4.8", but ran into conflicts. So, this was just easier :-/

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 19 19:41:44 UTC 2012

Evan Teran <eteran at alum.rit.edu> writes:

> Git commit b6f84708f6d89540ff1e1117c9498bdc2c11c679 by Evan Teran.
> Committed on 18/04/2012 at 00:12.
> Pushed by teran into branch 'master'.
>
> merging in the change from 4.8 to master. I tried with "git merge KDE/4.8", but ran into conflicts. So, this was just easier :-/
>
> M  +162  -59   kcalc.cpp
> M  +7    -0    kcalc.h
> M  +213  -170  kcalc.ui
> M  +63   -63   kcalc_core.cpp
> M  +1    -2    kcalc_core.h
> M  +7    -8    kcalcdisplay.cpp
> M  +20   -9    knumber/knumber.cpp
> M  +5    -4    knumber/knumber.h
> M  +63   -76   stats.cpp
> M  +1    -1    stats.h

Better late than never to comment on this :-)

Please avoid merging branches this way; many different commits have been
merged at once, which means one is not able to easily check if a
specific commit has been integrated or not, git's merging infrastructure
is not exploited and reverting commits is not very easy, to say the
least.

If you have questions or need help merging branches, please contact the
kde-utils-devel mailing list or ask in the #kde-git IRC channel in
Freenode, we'll be glad to give a hand.

What Dakon (in KGpg) and I (in Ark) have been doing when working with
the stable and master branches is the following:

 - Commit into KDE/4.x
 - Checkout the master branch
 - Use `git merge --log --edit -s recursive -Xours KDE/4.x' to merge the
   stable branch into master with a nice commit message.

I have described this approach in a bit more detail in the HACKING file
I recent committed to Ark's master branch.