Fwd: Re: [Ksecretservice-devel] KWallet/KSecretsService & GIT workflow

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Aug 6 08:31:28 UTC 2011

On Saturday, August 6, 2011 10:04:46 Valentin Rusu wrote:
> kdeutils is not yet in KDE GIT and in Randa we discussed themodularization
> of KDE. What are the current plans about it?

well, we talked about the modularization of the KDE Platform to turn it into
KDE Frameworks. we didn't really talk about the rest of KDE's efforts and
projects, as we didn't really have the appropriate people there for that.

> The kdeutils/kwallet module uses kde-runtime/kwalletd. By
> analogy,kdeutils/kwallet may be better placed, in my opinion, insidekde
> -baseapps module (and btw this module already moved to GIT).

moving it to baseapps might be a good idea. it might also make sense to put it
into kde-workspace. which we choose probably depends on the following:

	With Secret Service, is the desktop shell expected to provide the UI to
	manage the wallets?

in other words, is the manager to become a feature of the desktop environment
you are logged into? currently, the manager is a separate application with the
assumption that one may want to use that manager wherever they use a KDE
application. that is certainly one realistic approach.

however, with Secret Service being a cross-desktop framework, perhaps it
becomes a feature of the workspace.

the one thing i can think that would go against that is usage of KDE (or other
Secret Service using apps) on operating systems like Windows or Mac where a
manager would be needed. that would argue in favor of baseapps.

personally (after having written the above) i tend to agree with your
assessment that is belongs in baseapps.

> Alternatively, we may consider creating a small module
> namedKDE/kdebase/kwalletmanager and move the kdeutils/kwallet code
> insidethis module.

i'd prefer to avoid a bajillion little git repositories for key features that
ought to be coordinated with each other. but maybe that's just me. :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se