Taking over kcalc maintainership (was Re: KDE/kdeutils/kcalc)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Sep 20 19:32:29 CEST 2010

Hi Evan,

Jeudi, le 26 août 2010, à 01:15, Raphael Kubo da Costa a écrit:
> (CC'ing the kde-utils-devel mailing list)
>
> On Wednesday 25 August 2010 18:06:28 Evan Teran wrote:
> > Hi Ralph,
> >
> > Sorry that you are most certainly not the most direct person to
> > contact to get the information I want, but you seem to at least be in
> > charge of something with the KDE folks ;). Anyway, I have been
> > (re)motivated to try to squash the remaining bugs that poor little
> > kcalc has.
> >
> > I tried to contact Klaus who is listed as the current maintainer in
> > order to coordinate with him, but unfortunately the email simply got
> > bounced back. So I fear that he is somewhat MIA. I also noticed that
> > he is currently the default assignee for kcalc bugs. I used to be back
> > in the early 2000's but as some point he took over.
> >
> > Anyway, since it appears that at the very least he is not receiving
> > the reports, I'd be happy to take over once again as the maintainer.
> > Who do I contact to do this?
> >
> > Thanks and sorry again that this probably isn't your area.
> > Evan Teran
>
> Hey there Evan,
>
> kcalc has been quite unmaintained for some time. We've tried looking for
> volunteers, and someone even committed a few patches some months ago before
> vanishing into the shadows.
>
> I believe we (as in the kdeutils team) would be more than glad if you
> stepped up to maintain kcalc again. Since there's no maintainer at all at
> the moment, I think you become The One by simply committing stuff :)
>
> As for the bug reports, you can either look for someone with enough
> Bugzilla karma or file a sysadmin bug report[1] to get the bug reports
> reassigned to you (or to at least automatically CC you on all the
> reports).
>
> You could also have your blog (if you have one) syndicated on Planet KDE to
> announce you're the new old kcalc maintainer to make everyone aware and
> happy

Welcome finally also from the current official coordinator of the kdeutils
module (although I maybe time to pass the official role to one more active,
i.e. Raphael :) ). Great to see your storm of commits to KCalc, making this
good old app keep up with the state of art :)

I see you already added your name to the list of authors in the KAboutData (in
kcalc.cpp), please also move the role of maintainer there from more former
maintainer David Johnson (cc:ed) to yourself, so others know who to contact.
(Hm, I really should see to dedicate more time to the AboutData project*,
again had to search where this data is located for KCalc...)

Please also subscribe to the mailinglist kde-utils-devel, which is a low-
traffic mailinglist used for coordination of the module kdeutils and related
stuff, thanks: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-utils-devel

Cheers
Friedrich

* http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/AboutData