adding new library deps to kcalc?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Oct 16 02:08:25 CEST 2010

Hi Evan,

Vendredi, le 15 octobre 2010, à 15:48, Raphael Kubo da Costa a écrit:
> At Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:39:44 -0400,
>
> Evan Teran wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently saw a bug report for kcalc involving a lack of precision
> > with trig functions. The reason for this is that currently kcalc will
> > convert the GMP value to a long double, do the trig function using the
> > standard c lib, and then convert back.
> >
> > So did a little looking around for a GMP like library that supports
> > trig functions and I found one MPFR (http://www.mpfr.org/). It seems
> > that it is modeled after GMP but has support for trig functions well.
> > So my question is what is the kde policy with regard to adding new
> > library dependencies?

The only policy I know regarding this is written for libraries:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Library_Code_Policy#External_Dependencies

But by practise pretty much the same is also valid for programs/plugins (he,
in service-oriented world, what is the difference between a library and a
commandline-parameter/D-Bus driven program :) ).

Ideally dependencies are also available on as many as possible of the base
platforms the KDE Platform itself supports. For MPFR this seems valid, good.

I guess other calculation related KDE software (KSpread, Plasma calculator)
also have such needs, again ideally they would share the backend.

> As long as we're not in dependency freeze (which starts in November
> 11th for the 4.6 cycle, see [1]), it is perfectly OK to add new
> dependencies to trunk.

This is the other important policy, yes.

So all fine with MPFR from policy side of view, including license (AFAIK). :)

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Desktop Summit 2011 - Berlin, Germany - August 6-12th - www.desktopsummit.org