Okteta structure file for ELF

Alex Richardson alex.richardson at gmx.de
Mon Jan 18 11:37:26 CET 2010

> Hi,
>
> first, thanks for that great tutorial on how to write Okteta structure
> definitions :)
>
> I've made an ELF header structure (http://chaos.troll.no/~harald/elf/),
>  please review and let me know whether I can commit it to SVN or rather
>  upload it to some external site...
I had actually already started on en ELF structure description, but yours is much better.
Just a small suggestion: use "application-x-executable" for the Icon in elf.desktop.

I like it, and I think it is somewhat a core structure, so I wouldn't mind if you uploaded it to the
example directory (kdeutils/okteta/kasten/controllers/view/structures/schema/example)

It would also be good if you could upload it to http://kde-files.org/index.php?xcontentmode=691 so
that it can be installed automatically once the KNS support has been added. Moreover it is more
likely that people find it there than if it is only in SVN.

> Now for the feature suggestions :)
>
> 1) how about a "hint" attribute that allows to specify an extended
>  description for a structure item?
Good idea, however I think it makes more sense as a subelement, since long attribute texts are ugly.
> 2) how about a new attribute for primitives that flags a value as either
> address or offset? That way, the user can click on the value to jump to the
> corresponding address within the file, or to a relative/absolute offset.
Sounds good, added to my TODO list.

Alex