kdelirc news

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 02:09:39 CET 2010

Hi Michael (and Frank),

Jeudi, le 11 février 2010, à 15:33, Michael Zanetti a écrit:
> Hello kdeutils team,
>
> We from kdelirc have made some major changes in branches/work/kdelirc. We
>  have refactored also the last parts from the old KDE3 version. The whole
>  framework is now much more extensible for future development.
>
> Also, since lircd handling has moved to solid we should now be able to run
>  on other platforms and support different types of remotes.
>
> During the rework also the UI changed a bit and we have moved the systray
>  app from a standalone app to a kded module.

Sounds like pretty and good work :)

> Because of those major changes I think the name KDELirc doesn't fit any
>  more and would like to ask if I'm allowed to rename the application.

IMHO: Your baby, your name. And switching names to reflect new states sounds
sensible.

>  Currently we are going for "KRemoteControl" as a more generic name.
>  However, as we don't have an application in the menu any more (just a kded
>  service and a Remote Control Configuration kcmshell plugin) the name isn't
>  of any big importance any more.

And no applet? What about IrKick? Wil there be no status indicator or another
small control (of the remote control system, like switching IR on/off or
showing input arriving?

>  It's more how the directories in the
>  codebase are named. Anyways, if someone knows a better name (I know there
>  are some people who hate Ksomething names) I'm open for suggestions.

So this name will not be visible, both in the UI and in the API? What about D-
Bus object and interface names? The module/lib names might need to be unique,
too.
(e.g. libkremotecontrol/dbusinterface.cpp seems to use "org.kde.irkick" as D-
Bus object name?)

KRemoteControl sound sensible for the default implementation, K as namespace
prefix and RemoteControl as generic describing name of the functionality.

Only problem might be that while at first remote control reminds of the
classic remote control at first, in general computer systems this might be
also used for other stuff (like remote desktop control or ), so the name alone
might mislead an accidental by-passer of the directory/modules :) But not
really a stopper.

> So if everyone (especially Friedrich) agrees with my proposal I would like
>  to merge the branch back in a month or so (when we are finished with
>  polishing the ui and bringing back the last outstanding features).

If it's such a great rewrite it might be a good idea to pass officially
through kdereview, especially if it also affects kdelibs/solid. Using a
documented process should make it more simple for all invoved :)

Apart from that no objection, in fact it sounds really good what you have been
doing.

Cheers
Friedrich
--