kdelirc news

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Thu Feb 11 15:33:09 CET 2010

Hello kdeutils team,

We from kdelirc have made some major changes in branches/work/kdelirc. We have
refactored also the last parts from the old KDE3 version. The whole framework
is now much more extensible for future development.

Also, since lircd handling has moved to solid we should now be able to run on
other platforms and support different types of remotes.

During the rework also the UI changed a bit and we have moved the systray app
from a standalone app to a kded module.

Because of those major changes I think the name KDELirc doesn't fit any more
and would like to ask if I'm allowed to rename the application. Currently we
are going for "KRemoteControl" as a more generic name. However, as we don't
have an application in the menu any more (just a kded service and a Remote
Control Configuration kcmshell plugin) the name isn't of any big importance
any more. It's more how the directories in the codebase are named. Anyways, if
someone knows a better name (I know there are some people who hate Ksomething
names) I'm open for suggestions.

So if everyone (especially Friedrich) agrees with my proposal I would like to
merge the branch back in a month or so (when we are finished with polishing
the ui and bringing back the last outstanding features).

Cheers,
Michael