Printer applet dependencies

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Thu Jan 15 20:16:20 CET 2009

I've just noticed that Printer Applet has runtime dependencies on hal-cups-
utils, which itself dependendent on system-config-printer. The problem is that
system-config-printer is dependent on PyGTK, making Printer Applet GTK+. Many
distros are going to pull in extra GNOME dependencies as well.

Technically, only two files are needed from the system-config-printer sources,
but I don't think many distros are going to make special mini-system-config-
printer packages for their mini-hal-cups-utils packages.

The reason I bring this up, is because I'm helping with an effort to get
FreeBSD ports ready for 4.2, when this oddity reared its head. Are there
solutions to this problem? Does anyone know how are other packagers handling
this?

Thanks,

David