power manager in 4.2

Ryan P. Bitanga ryan.bitanga at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 07:24:27 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

Dario pointed this thread out to me. I do think that PowerDevil has
the best approach in architecture. I started work on Lithium almost
the same time as PowerDevil but didn't notice it until I took a look
at playground with most of the application features complete. I
continued work on it because: 1) I already invested a lot of time into
it and 2) it wasn't exactly the same approach taken either by
kde4powersave or PowerDevil. Lithium was designed to be similar to
KPowersave, hence, it is also an application that lives in the system
tray. It was designed as so to be useful in other DE's like KDE 3. I
also attempted to combine advantages of KPowersave with the pretty
tooltip from guidance. In terms of features, it should obtain feature
parity with KPowersave within the next few weeks, so, yes, it will be
stable and ready for 4.2. In the long run, however, if the PowerDevil
approach works with other DE's just as well, the kded module +
frontends would be the way to go. :)

Cheers,
Ryan