KCharSelect & co.

Daniel Laidig d.laidig at gmx.de
Sat Apr 26 21:24:49 CEST 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008 11:12:50 Constantin Berzan wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I would like to maintain KCharSelect and port its associated applet.  I
> have limited experience working with KDE and I think this application is a
> good opportunity to learn more.

It definitely is a good opportunity, but you have to be aware of one thing:
KCharSelect in kdeutils is mostly a wrapper for the widget in kdelibs. So the
actual code is in kdelibs, for example the unicode information etc.

I started extending KCharSelect (compare the KDE 3 and 4 versions and you'll
see the difference) after it was proposed on a mailing list as a good project
for beginners. At this point of time I wasn't aware of that yet, but luckily
finding out didn't stop me. :)

> Questions:
> 1) Has anyone else asked to adopt this baby?

Afaik no, although I also thought about maintainership. However, I'm not
really interested in adding new features and would just have fixed bugs. So I
definitely don't want to stop you.

When I find time to do so, I will go though old bugs and wishes that are not
applicable for the new KCharSelect in KDE 4 any more. At the time of
developing I didn't have Bugzilla rights yet. However, I don't need to be the
maintainer for working on KCharSelect. :)

I'm not really sure what to do with old KDE 3 bugs, since I don't think
anyone will ever fix these and the new KCharSelect code is fundamentally
different. Is it okay to just close these old bugs?

> 3) Is there anything else I should know?

If you have questions about the code, don't hesitate to ask me. :)

Daniel