KWallet maintainership

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 23:11:17 CEST 2008

Hi Sascha, Troy & Bart,

good to see you all here :)

This list is relatively new, it got setup in the process of the cleanup for a
better future of thee module. So besides the maintainers of KCalc, KGpg,
KJots, Okteta, and Superkaramba  (still waiting for the maintainer of Ark,
not yet in contact) there are not that many around yet.
This is especially true for the former maintainers of the programs mentioned
in the call for maintainers, but they won't be found in other lists, either,
as almost all are inactive in general. Not too great, but so is life. Your
ambitions are, which count :)

Am Mittwoch, 23. April 2008, um 18:43 Uhr, schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
> first of all I'm knew to this list but I got motivated by a certain blog
> post to show up here and see what's up with KWallet. I already met 3 other
> guys which are interested in pushing it forward, so I'd like to get
> informed about it's current state, the port to Qt4/KDE4, missing features,
> wanted features and all that stuff. Hopefully someone can tell me more at
> this list.

As said above the former official developers (George Staikos and Isaac
Clerencia, as mentioned in the program's About Data) are not here to your
service. So you have to find out yourself :)

What do I know (pardon me, I do not even use KWallet):
KWallet is divided in two parts, the backend in kdelibs/kwallet and the
manager in kdeutils/kwallet.
The readme in kdelibs/kwallet points to
http://www.staikos.net/~staikos/papers/2003/ for a design paper.
For the API of the backend see
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKWallet_1_1Wallet.html
For the programs in KDE's repository using the KWallet backend see
http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=Wallet

The port to Qt4/KDE4 might be almost complete, but the manager is at least
linked against KDE4_KDE3SUPPORT_LIBS, so some work seems left.
If you have a look at the commit log entries, you will find a lot of
insightful KDE hackers having done the port, so things should be not that
much in disorder:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kwallet
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeutils/kwallet/

Missing and wanted features, well, these are foremost the ones you have,
because that will be your motivation to care for it :)
What others want can be seen from the wishlist items unter the bug reports:
for the backend:
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=kdelibs&component=kwallet&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
and the manager:
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=kwalletmanager&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
But do not forget, for KDE 4.1 there cannot be any more new features, we are
in soft feature freeze (and no new features had been registered in the
feature plan before). So you would have to create a local branch and do your
development of new features there, so when development of KDE 4.2 starts you
can prepare a patch to merge your to the "trunk" branch.

Regarding all that stuff:
I guess you know about http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started
for most of the informations needed?
And if I looked correctly you do not yet have an account for the KDE
repository, right? So the procedure would be as usual:
For now that while you work on the code in the "trunk" branch you sent patches
to this list, so I or someone else can approve and commit them. And after a
while if your patches keep being good you can apply for your own svn account
which should be just a formal act.

For general development information and help you will find best support in the
mailinglist kde-devel or in the irc channel #kde-devel at freenode. But
before make sure you searched techbase if your problem isn't covered there.

So, a lot of informations, perhaps a little overwhelming for a start, perhaps
quite some terms unknown to you :) Just read for now, what you are interested
in, than ask further questions, please.

My idea would be that for a start to get used to development of KDE code you
could try to create patches for the problems reported by EBN:
http://englishbreakfastnetwork.org/krazy2/reports/kde-4.x/kdeutils/kwallet/index.html

Good night
Friedrich

PS: Pardon my sometimes slow reactions, but first life rules!