closing documents, take 2

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Wed May 20 14:11:02 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 22:25:39 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> > Ok, I corrected this (sorry for previous mess):
> > [ ] on close of document, close "its" application as well if
> > there are sibling instances of that application within the
> > container [x] on close of last application instance in container,
> > keep this instance (do not close it)
> >      [x] close the document only instead
>
> Okay, I think I follow now. Same effect, but your options are
> worded quite differently.
>
> What about this?
>
> [ ] Closing a document also closes the window if their are other
> instances of the application in the container.
> [X] Do not allow the last instance of an application to be closed
> by closing the document

The problem is there were 3 cases, now you have 2.

The first one is ok. The second one is (originally) is not about
closing document, but the fact if the last application can be closed
by user. And there are two cases:
* it cannot be closed
* although it cannot be closed but the the doc is closed instead

But not -- closing doc is the effect, not the reason!

> The problem is applications that don't have an empty state, yes?

No, not at all.

> don't think we need an option to not close the document if we could
> go to empty state;

But it is not an option is up to application how it can handle "clear"
state:
* empty application (no doc)
* blank doc

> if I asked to close the document, that should
> happen.
> Only if the application doesn't have an empty state (i.e.
> can close window, can't close document without closing window)
> should we possibly not do anything.

Not really, such application should close the doc and "open" blank
one. Like Kate in KDE3.

Btw. I would much rather would like to have uniform behaviour -- close
doc is closing doc, app is empty, period. But forcing such behaviour
is beyond scope of NWI (or is it not? :-) ).

> As I said, my original confusion was that I was reading "instance"
> as "process"

That is exactly what I meant :-D

> (which is more correct from a technical standpoint
> without having specified otherwise)... and yes. Start KWrite, hit
> "New" a few times (you need to type something into the empty
> documents or it won't make new windows)... you'll get several
> windows, but only one kwrite process.

Ok, I get it. And in such case (currently) close window means close
this window, and quit app means close all windows and quit the app?

On a bright side...? I hope/guess/think it does not interfere with
NWI?

Except...

Let's say I have TAI with kpdf. I create another tab. In such case I
would really like that this is another tab of the same process,
right? Because otherwise find in one tab would be blind of the things
I entered in find dialog in other tab.

Cheers,