WM: grouping applications (TAI)

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Sat May 2 11:15:25 CEST 2009

On Saturday 02 May 2009 00:28:57 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> > In GAI if I would like to go spatial navigating I would really
> > like to go up or down, not only next/previous.
>
> previous/next would "wrap" much like tab order of widgets, so you
> would (eventually) get everywhere.

So I understood you correctly before -- it is a sequence switch :-D

I started writing that I am not convinced, but then you convinced me,
so I delete everything in "unconvinced" state :-D

> Not considering wrapping, it is still possible that previous/left
> and next/right are not equivalent.

Sure.

> +---+---+
>
> | A |   |
> |
> |   | C |
>
> +---+   |
>
> | B +---+
> |
> |   | D |
>
> +---+---+
>
> ...from B, left might go to C (especially if the part of C along B
> is taller than D), but next would always go to D
> (because C follows
> A, next can never go to C except from A).

I sense here, that you calculated B->D from exclusion. This is
interesting mathematical challenge, but even without much thought I
think it is not doable because there are cases when you get clash.
I.e. you end up with mutually depend exclusions.

Unless you say, that we try first exclusions, and for all clashes we
compute sequence from geometry + take-first decision.

Hmm, I am kinda more convinced to sequence switching.

> (I'm assuming that previous/next are bias-horizontal... which maybe
> should be an option :-).

Nah, this one can be fixed :-) Btw. spatial alg. must also have bias.

Cheers,