WM: grouping applications (TAI)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 1 18:07:13 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 April 2009 23:22:06 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'm confused, where did "-sequence" come from?
>
> From me, I added it to avoid confusion with historic and spatial. Or
> we didn't talk about sequence at all? :-)) Then I am sorry.

I think the confusion is this. I am using:
foo ( = smart)
foo-spatial
foo-historic

...and you are using:

foo-sequence ( = smart)
foo-spatial
foo-historic

So, just terminology confusion?

>> I don't think it's redundant. The point is to be able to bind one
>> set of keys and have that set do the "most sensible" thing
>> depending on the container, rather than /always/ spatial or
>> /always/ historic.
>
> The example below convinced me :-) Ok.

:-)

>>> For TAI user would have both historic and spatial (for all
>>> containers actually), so when I choose "smart" switch what the
>>> action will be? For TAI let's say. Why spatial would be more
>>> important than historic or vice-verse.
>> TAI - spatial
>> GAI - probably spatial?
>> FAI - historic
>>
>> The reason is that (pardon) historically, "historic" is how users
>> are used to window switching in FAI working. And I think there is a
>> reason why FAI uses historic by default and not spatial. But for
>> TAI, precedent is for spatial, and again I think that makes sense.
>
> Yes. Small thing -- I think GAI should be historic too for very
> similar reason as in FAI. Besides GAI and FAI are rather more similar
> to each other, than GAI and TAI.

True. Honestly I have been on the fence about GAI, so if you think
spatial would be better, then let's try that :-).

>> [...] and in floating, spatial actually does historic.
>
> I don't a reason for such limitation -- this can be really spatial and
> be helpful.

Yeah, I was waffling on this already... Let's forget that; spatial can
be spatial in FAI also :-).

Hmm. If we do trim down the actions any, I am starting to think that
spatial previous/next should be dropped; in TAI it is redundant with
left/right, and only slightly less so in GAI/FAI. (But then you'd need
four keys - u/d/l/r - instead of two to navigate spatially in GAI/FAI,
which is why I'm not sure if dropping it would be a good idea or not.)

--
Matthew
"Will somebody get this walking carpet out of my way?!"