CLosing apps

Maciej Pilichowski macias at mat.uni.torun.pl
Sat Mar 21 14:27:47 CET 2009

Reason unknown, but I don't see my mail, sending again (4th try,
alternate address), if this would make a dup. -- sorry.

On Monday 16 March 2009 23:35:08 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

New comment and the old comments.

> >> ...this one feels more important. Especially then you can make
> >> container, put windows in it.
> >
> > But on the other hand -- for example container closes with the
> > closing of the last tab. User can launch konq. and since konq.
> > works in TAI mode it already launches as TAI with one tab. So
> > keeping empty container is not necessary.
>
> <humorous>Make up your mind! ;-)</humorous>

;-D Ok, empty containers are not allowed. Creating them is cheap.

> [hollow app]
> Ok, you convince me (I think) :-). But... I'd say that is even more
> reason to allow empty containers. (It's more for what happens in
> empty desktop, or when closing last child, than to create a
> container that is initially empty).

Desktop is already special case. When you close the last child (quit
app) the container can be closed as well. Because if you would leave
the empty container there would no app inside. And this means you
have to launch some app.

And creating containers is cheap, launching apps is expensive. Thus
there is no reason (?) to keep empty containers.

> Beside "see above", part of what I am saying is I am not my own
> sibling  ;-), i.e. "sibling" implicitly excludes "self".

Funny thing, despite I know the meaning I always catch myself with
mistake, that "siblings = all children of my parents". So just for
others like me, I put explicitly with/without me ;-)

> And, as it relates to the other discussions, I would still say a
> container may not have input focus *unless* it has no children.

This means that in order to do something with container using keyboard
only, you have to focus on its child window. This could be a bit not
intuitive. Besides that I see no problem.

Ok, the summary -- I know I am reapating this, but since the
terminology problems, it is better to assure twice, than make mistake
once.

TAI:
/---\ okular with x.pdf (active),
/---\ konq. with www.kde.org page.

Closing:
* close doc --> closing x.pdf, okular remains

* close this, current, tab/window of app (this only instance of
app) --> closing x.pdf and okular as well, TAI now contains only
konq.

* close all siblings (not me) --> this closes web page and konq, TAI
now contains only okular

* close topmost container (not counting desktop) --> TAI window is
gone + konq + okular

* close the direct parent container --> this closes TAI window + konq
+ okular

Not possible to do:
* close all siblings and me (but keep the container) --> this results
with empty TAI

And one more thing -- do we would like to have extra policy for TDI,
something like when the last app is closed, relaunch it (it would
really mean close the doc). Why? Because with konq. you would close
tabs one after another, but maybe you would like to stick to
konqueror as "window". So you would have to remember while reading to
press odd sequence.

* open konq. with daily tabs
* read the last one, close app
* read the last one, close app
* read the last one, close app
... (only one left)
* read the last one, close _doc_

This feels unnatural so I think the option for controlling the close
policy "do not close the last app" would be useful.

I'll wait for you then I'll move to another still open thread.

Cheers,