WM: grouping applications (TAI)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 5 22:44:10 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 00:24:59 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> a) let's say you already have organized TAI, something similar to
>>> Konq. TDI but each tab is distinct app, no other app is running
>>> -- is task switching is possible via the same alt+tab as usual?
>>> Or should switching within tab should be distinct from "normal"
>>> task switching?
>> In short, it's a good question that needs an answer. Perhaps best
>> is to us alt-arrows for tree navigation, and alt-tab to switch only
>> top-level windows/containers
>
> OK, I was focused on is it or not possible to use alt-tab for that
> switching, so we agree. Alt-tab should be reserved only for first
> class windows/containers.

I'd be willing to try it for something else, but I'm dubious. You also
don't think it's a good idea. I guess that counts as agreeing ;-).

> Another matter is switching windows within containers, but whatever
> shortcut we choose as default it is not related (as long it is not
> alt-tab) to the above.
>
> Btw. I use win-right/ctrl-tab, win-left/shift-ctrl-tab for tab
> switching.

If these are indeed unbound (as they seem to be) in default
configurations, I'd agree.

> [on nesting containers...]
> I was more inclined to user POV. What do we need for such elaborate
> mechanism.

I had an example. I forget what, now. I don't know if I would use
tabs-in-tabs, but I would probably use tiles-in-tabs or tabs-in-tiles.
(And tiles-in-tiles probably makes sense for certain organizations.)

Okay, example:

tile container
   tab container
     konq's (with qt doc)
     konsole
   kate sidebar
   tab container
     kate documents (with various source files)

The above is a setup I could use right now if it was available.

> [W]e have one limit we have to think of -- UI. You can organize very
> complex data structures in code, but managing them by user is another
> matter.

Yes, which is why I consent that I might change my mind trying to make a
UI that actually works.

> For example -- you have GAI in TAI in GAI in TAI in GAI... -- how do
> you window-switch in such case?

Child-switch is limited to windows in the parent. (Hmm... which, come to
think of it, should duplicate top-level-switch - i.e. alt-tab - when the
window's parent is root. At least, you'd have to specifically write code
*against* that happening, and I don't see a huge drawback.)

I also mentioned tree navigation, i.e. another shortcut key to switch up
a level (probably this would work like alt-tab i.e. has a popup or other
"switching mode" that goes away when you let go of the invoking modifier
keys).

I can imagine something like cover switch with multiple rows; the bottom
row is siblings, above and center is the parent, and next to that are
the parent's siblings. If desired it could go all the way up to the
root's children, or show just one parent row (if there is a non-root
parent).

> Is it possible to drag&drop window
> from one GAI to another GAI? If yes, how fast it would be possible to
> make a mess by accident?

Slightly worse than doing it with TDI? ;-)

> New issues :-) For TAI, should container from top to bottom should
> look like:
>
> ======== menu ===============
> ======== tabs ================
>
> or reverse.

Make it an option?

> On the first sight the first one is more useful, because of the
> similarity to Konqueror. But on the second thought -- there would be
> problem with changing menus.

...which is why I feel like the default should be reverse. I'd also
point out that Chrome works this way. But...

> But then again, with TAI implemented TDI should be just special case
> of TAI. And with TDI the first layout is much better.
>
> I just wrote the concerns, I think despite changing menu, the first
> one is the one to go.

...I could agree here also. I think I prefer to make it configurable,
which reduces the question to "which is default"; that's easier to
answer (and dead simple to change).

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" -- Monty Python