NWI: metaphor needed?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 29 20:18:43 CEST 2009

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Thank you for all the concerns, we will try to improve the document of
>>> course. NWI is "mechanism" that let you organize the layout of
>>> windows: as now in KDE -- floating freely, or as tabs, or as tiled
>>> windows ("soldered" one next to each other) or a mixture of them.
>>> Plus all necessary tools&helpers to manage that
>>>
>> This looks like it serves the same purpose as having multiple
>> desktops. At least, that is how I used the multiple desktops when I
>> used them: to group windows (soldered) together. The Gimp made me do
>> it!
>
> As a one-time veteran of 30-plue IE instances, I can assure you that
> flat organizations (which is what multiple desktops currently are) don't
> scale :-).
>
> Right now, we have MDI and multiple desktops; two levels, thus flat. NWI
> goes from flat to pure tree. In fact, you could say that NWI is just
> multiple desktops extended to be recursive (and absorbing MDI in the
> process).

...which makes me realize, there is actually no need for multiple
desktops with NWI ;-). Ideally you can configure background for floating
containers (maybe others), so a desktop is really just a specialization
of an empty container, with a different way of switching between them.

I'm not sure if I want to simply up and yank multiple desktops outright,
but it's certainly possible...

--
Matthew
...yzarc gniog ylwols era uoY