Summary of NWI -- taskbar grouping

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 27 00:49:58 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Thursday 21 May 2009 22:37:52 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> And here:
>>> "A pop-up list would be e.g. the menu that appears when selecting
>>> a task bar entry for a container or group."
>>>
>>> What group?
>> Group as in the task bar grouped some items.
>
> In _this_ popup there cannot be any next popup, it is simply a
> submenu. So I would change it slightly:
>
> A pop-up list would be e.g. the menu or submenu that appears when
> selecting a task bar entry for a container.

Oh, I see the problem. If the entry is a group (i.e. same applications),
obviously combining by same applications results in a menu of 1 item,
which would be silly :-). Same thing replacing 'same applications' with
'containers'. OTOH if we group containers, it still makes sense that the
menu would show only the containers, no? Or is that is always done?

>> (This terminology
>> sucks. Maybe we should agree to ban "group" when talking about task
>> items, and use "merge" or "collapse" instead. Or rename GAI to
>> "grid"?
>
> I opt for both changes: grid + collapse. The more semantic "space"
> between the better.

Only comment is you lose the noun for "a collection of collapsed
windows". Thoughts? I guess we could use "collection"?

--
Matthew
 > pinotree uses the large trout on tsdgeos and PutHuhn :)
 > PutHuhn runs
 > tsdgeos lights a fire and eats the trout
(with apologies to Pino Toscano, PutHuhn and Albert Astals Cid, who came
up with this entirely on their own)