Summary of NWI -- the page

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Sat Jul 11 13:41:09 CEST 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 18:34:37 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> To be clear, if it is launched stand-alone, it /should/ stay after
> close-document.

I agree.

> Only if it is launched as "satellite" of kmail
> would close-document close the window.

Hmm, how would you tell by looking at the window how this app was
launched?

> Personally I think it is a little weird for composer to be a
> separate app :-). Most e-mail programs (M$OE, Evolution, TB), the
> mail editor is part of the mail manager.

It would be more natural for me if it would be another tab (like in
Forte Agent), but since it is separate window, I treat it as separate
app.

> Sigh. I don't know. I guess Diego's notions are starting to rub
> off.

This was good :-DD

> Maybe we should just say 'close document can never close a window'.

I agree 120%.

> But then it must also be allowed to not exist (e.g. kopete
> windows).

I didn't fully get it (I see exist=exit).

> I guess it /does/ work better for an interface designed from
> scratch.

True.

> >> I am certainly finished chatting with someone without closing
> >> kopete!
> >
> > ? If you are finished, why do you not close the kopete?
>
> Um. If I close kopete I am offline. And I have to restart it to get
> online again.

So you are not really finished. You finished _the chat_, but your are
willing/planning/hoping for more chatting. When I am finished with
for example burning the discs, I turn off the burner. Because I won't
burn any disc that day for sure.

> Do I recall right you have never used kopete? (Any IM client? How
> about konversation?)

Kopete, konv. twice maybe in my life. Polish IM gadu-gadu for about 2
months, daily. I am done with IM apps, I only use it when the other
person is insisting to use it instead of mail.

> > Yes. Because I prefer if computer system is shaped like
> > real-life. And I get typewriter (well, not anymore) and I fill
> > several pages. I don't hide&get typewriter with each page.
>
> I could make a counter-argument, though :-). KMail is like a desk,
> and messages are like sheets of paper you write mail on. When you
> are done writing, you put the paper in an envelope. The paper is
> now gone, you have to get a new piece of paper to write another
> letter.

I don't argue with you :-) I am just pointing it out -- you don't put
the pile of paper into the envelope, just one sheet of paper. The
rest of the pile can rest still on the desk (and in Christmas time I
used to have several postcards at once on my desk). So it wasn't
one desk -- one postcard -- writing one a time

it was
one desk -- N postcards -- writing one a time

(actually I always write all addresses first, and then the text, so I
am really used even in real life to handle multiple documents :-D).
If it would be KMail, I would launch Composer (new mail), open N
tabs, fill N addresses, get back to first tab, and start writing.
This is my MO.

Cheers,