Fwd: Adding "group/split" button to the decoration

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Wed Jul 8 14:48:32 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 00:26:03 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > I like [idea from Diego], but with small correction -- two
> > buttons "add (to group)", second "ungroup".
> >
> > * add -- adding to current container, in case of no container
> > create default one
>
> What is "current container"?

Container which is active, has focus (i.e. app inside has focus).

> Or would this be a button on a
> container to absorb a window (with second click)?

Exactly.

> What about (in addition to above) a button to wrap a window in a
> new container? It could be a dropdown for container type and also
> include option to interactively create container.

You mean wrap = convert? Hmm this means adding another button. And
only for such workflow (no irony below, just emphasis).

* convert app into container
* oh, I have container now
* add another app to this container (using 1st button)

vs.

* add another app to this "container" (using 1st button; container
actually will be created on fly)

I doubt the first scenario is productive, will be often used, thus I
think adding button only for this is too expensive.

> For icons, what do you think of...
>
> Wrap:
>    _
>   / _
>
> |   \
>
>   \_  |
>     _/
>
> Unwrap:
> _
>   \   _
>
>    | /
>
> _/ |
>      \_
>
> (Basically, two half-circles (or maybe angle brackets), with slight
> vertical offset.)

I like more half-circles (because it is some way similar to chain).
And I got the idea from the first time :-))

> > * default -- GAI (because it does not have hidden elements like
> > TAI)
>
> ...missed description of this?

I don't follow :-) My point was that if you add app to app GAI should
be created by default because it is obvious for user what happened.

> > * ungroup -- ungroup all windows, by default not put in the deco
> > (it could be distraction to weekends users, and container is easy
> > to ungroup by hand, by tearing it apart)
>
> Would this be in the container titlebar, to dissolve that container
> and drop its children into its parent?

Yes.

> IMO we should definitely
> have such a button available. Personally I think I /would/ add it
> by default, but that's not a strong opinion.

Ok, my is not strong either :-))

> Diego Moya wrote:
> > After pressing "split" all the applications in the grid would
> > still be included in a "virtual group", so that pressing "Tile"
> > again would restore the grid with all associated applications.
> > This would also help to bring together all windows in the group
> > to another virtual desktop.
>
> I'm not sure about this, it makes sense,

For me no -- because I don't see a purpose. If you want to bring
together all windows you don't have to do anything, just bring
them -- containers, not containers, it does not matter.

Cheers,