[kde-artists] [Kde-hardware-devel] Renaming Oxygen's devices/ icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 26 10:35:37 CEST 2007

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> It doesn't matter whether it's a thing or not. It's a question of fallbacks,
> and we'd rather see audio CDs as special form of audio discs than
> audio CDs as special form of CDs. It provides a better fallback icon.

I should point out that this needs to be done in the way the user thinks
about it.

IIUC, the icon name is parsed RTL while people speak LTR.

I think that most people think of an 'audio CD' rather than 'CD audio'.

That is, audio is a type of CD -- adjective modifying noun.  Yes, you
could also say that CD was a type of audio, but is that really the way
users think about it?

> Also, this thread came to the conclusion that for the user, knowing the
> concrete disc format matters less than knowing what's on the disc.

Yes, that makes some sense.  But, are users really going to be able to
tell that from the icon?  Wouldn't it be better to use a badge to
indicate that it was an audio disk or a video disk?

--
JRT