Prep for KDE HIG test

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Mon Oct 2 16:56:49 CEST 2006

Hey all,

Participant recruiting is almost complete!  There is still some preparation
necessary before the test.

*) Demo HIG

http://test.openusability.org/wiki_ou/index.php/KDE4_Guidelines

This is a link to the IA I will be testing, it lives in the previous KDE HIG
Wiki.  The content does not have to be complete, however I do need some of
the guidelines (ones related to each other would be best) filled out in order
to have higher fidelity to the prototype.

Most of this work entails translating the current guidelines and content we
have in the Wiki plus some of the guidelines developed and discussed on the
mailing list in to this format.  If any of you have a few minutes during your
day where you remember a guideline or see a screen which would make a good
sample screenshot, PLEASE drop some of that content in. It doesnt have to be
100% correct or 100% approved (I am testing the organization and layout of
concepts, not the content).

*) Test protocol

For this user test, I plan on using a think aloud protocol while users
complete something similar to a reverse card sort.  Users will get several
items or concepts to find in the architecture and may comment on the design
and discuss their decisions as they complete each objective.  This activity
is similar to testing scenarios except the objectives are much smaller chunks
of tasks and many more of different types can be completed.

I am asking you for help in developing a list of these card sort items.  For
the most part, some of the content will be necessary for these particular
items which is why this is related to the first point.

A sample item would be "What are the capitalization rules for list items in a
dialog box?".  Obviously information on that rule would have to be present in
the demo HIG in order for the user to be able to find (or not find) that
answer.

Perhaps this second point would be good to ask the devel community?  What
kinds of questions would they ask themselves while they are using
documentation?

I would really appreciate some feedback and help on these items.  Work on the
HIG has been going along very well and I would like to keep up the pace so we
have the meat and potatoes of the document for the KDE4 developers as soon as
possible.

Thanks!

~ Celeste

--