HIG: tabwidgets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 10 03:49:45 CET 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 10:37, Gábor Lehel wrote:
> - Close button on each tab, on the righthand side, with an icon on the

perhaps we can leave this in as an option for users to turn on if they wish
(as we already currently do) but it seems like a poor general default. opera
doesn't exactly have the same target market we do =)

> - Drag & drop reordering of tabs. If you drag to outside of the tab
> bar, though, it works just like normal drag & drop.

seems we have consensus on this one.

> - You can click on the active tab to 'minimize' it*, like with a
> taskbar -- this means it won't be the tab that gets activated after

power user feature? i'm wary of "magic clicks" to be honest.

> - When you open way lots of tabs. instead of excess ones scrolling off
> the righthand side into oblivion, all of them shrink to fit (the text
> is ellipsified, then hidden, but below a certain size the icon itself
> is also scaled, and then hidden). This works usably up to around a
> hundred tabs or so, beyond that it might be worth starting a second
> row of tabs (which Opera doesn't do).

we scale up to ~17 on my laptop screen which is 1024x768 .... not 100, though
100 seems pretty over the top.. =) 100 tabs @ 1024 pixels is less than 10px
each. tiny targets == not so good?

--
Aaron J. Seigo