Instant apply and explicit apply in KDE HIG

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Sat Mar 4 07:41:15 CET 2006

On Friday, 3. March 2006 22:40, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 03:19, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> >  I'm tempted to think it's a good idea to promote instant apply in
> > certain, defined situations - assuming that the history works.
>
> it's pretty obvious (at least to me?) that instant apply simply does not
> work in many circumstances[1].
i agree -->> certain, defined situations.

> some of our dialogs would have "Cancel" and some would have "Close". some
> would offer an easy way to cancel the changes made thus far, others
> wouldn't. some would affect an out-of-dialog (and out-of-attention)
> resource while others wouldn't
that's why i think of promoting dockers -> they neither have close nor cancel,
but are something like extended toolbars. still they provide the mobility to
instantly apply changes - which taken by itself is a good thing.
i'm not yet completely sure about the scope of such dockers. a bit more than
toolbars, the most common actions, wysiwyg actions ... ??
also, i heard rumours that dockers should not be available in qt4. is that
true?? if so: why?

> does the win outway the cost here? my suggestion would be 'no'

i fully agree it does not for settings dialog and a lot of other stuff. but
when working on a task - eg image manipulation or editing a text document,
instant apply can be very helpful. promoting dockers would be a good idea -
assuming that the history works, and that we manage to define useful
situations (before a docker-blast starts) ;-)

cheers,
/el

--

Ellen Reitmayr