Instant apply and explicit apply in KDE HIG

Thomas Zander zander32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 23:41:56 CET 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 10:40, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >  I'm tempted to think it's a good idea to promote instant apply in
> > certain, defined situations - assuming that the history works.
>
> it's pretty obvious (at least to me?) that instant apply simply does
> not work in many circumstances[1]. having instant apply sometimes and
> not other times means that users now have to divine when it's one way
> or the other.

You have a point, but you are ignoring one important aspect; how to
handle the widgets input when there is no dialog if you don't want to
use instant-apply.

Take kivio or krita. Both have dockers (pallettes for the user).
Change the opacity of a layer in krita and tell me how the changes
should be 'ok-ed' and the history should work.  (see krita/UIComments
for what I think ;)
--
Thomas Zander