KDE4 HIG issue: search/filter bars and the clear button

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 2 00:23:40 CET 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 12:39, Leo Savernik wrote:ss
>  Certainly mmb-pasting is an advanced feature,

thank you for beating me to this very important point. i will add one
refinement: it's an advanced feature in the sense that "few people use it"
not in the sense that "it does something powerful and unique".

what i find REALLY funny about the "advanced feature" argument in this case is
that if you REALLY want MMB paste to be fast in konqi ... middle click in the
content area. that's 2 clicks better than the clear button. how's that for
advanced features? (firefox does this too, btw)

>  but usability isn't about
> making the advanced users' lives harder.

the "advanced user" can add the button to their toolbar. or we can even
provide a "Power User" web profile.

but having KDE default configuration optimized for 1% of people and
unoptimized for everyone else is a bit insane. granted, it's not always so
obvious and clear a demarcation as this item is, but that is IMHO the truth.

if most people don't use it _and_ it has negative side effects by being there
(both true in this case AFAICS) then it ought to be demoted.

--
Aaron J. Seigo