further debeveling

Thomas Zander zander32 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 09:29:55 CET 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 13:03, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> in the default plastik style we ship with those lines between toolbars
>  (called "toolbar separators" in the code, but "toolbar frames" by
> some) turned on. they add to the visual noise and add little to no
> apparent value.

I just tried turning them off in the control center; I don't seem to be
able to...
I assume you made sure this 'turning on later' works fine?

> it was suggested by one person on irc that they help them when dragging
> toolbars around. if that is the case, i'd suggest that that is done so
> rarely compared to regular usage that it's not a useful case to
> optimize for (and i further wonder at how useful those lines are even
> there)

I tried to move a toolbar without touching these lines, and I can't find
any way to do so (without reverting to a RMB click).

If I understand you correct (and there are no other lines in toolbars..)
then you effectively suggest to disable moving around toolbars. Which I'm
sure you will see I don't see as an advantage at all. (don't make the
Gnome mistake of assuming that the majority of users is a significant
statistic in any stretch of the imagination, see the arguing Linus
gave on that one in a well known thread ;)

Furthermore; separating toolbars is done in applications for other reasons
then to move them separately; toolbars are separated to separate
functionality. Like KWord has a 'insert' and a 'format' toolbar.  Very
different functionality. Separating them visually is equal to having
different top-level-entries in the menus.

So, in short; for applications with more then one toolbar I see only
disadvantages.
--
Thomas Zander