What's this help

Florian Graessle holehan at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 12:08:57 CEST 2005

Diego Moya wrote:
> After the user pressed the window title "?" button, why do you require
> the extra step of clicking on an element to show its "What's this"
> information? Clicking the "?" should already show the "What's this"
> information of all elements on the dialog for which it's available.
> You should be take care of possible overlaps, but it's not a big deal
> if the tooltips can be moved or closed on by one.

This can get very crowdy. Just think of the kprinter dialog which is not
too big, but offers a lot of "what's this" help. Not only amongst the
"what's this" tips should you take care of possible overlaps, the
elements of the whole dialog would have to be visible all the time as
well. Then you would need some sort of pointers to make clear which tip
belongs to which element.
So I doubt the average screen resolution offers enough space to display
all the information at once.