focus visualisation for KDE 4

Ellen Reitmayr ellen.reitmayr at relevantive.de
Thu Sep 29 11:51:06 CEST 2005

jan.muehlig wrote:
> Scott Wheeler schrieb:
>>That's in the default KDE style.  The box above has the keyboard focus and
>>that's indicated by the blue rectangle -- not sure if that's what you're
>>referring to...
>

> That's for input elements, but not for frames. At least I couldn't find
> that. Take Konversation: you have three main areas: left log, right user
> list, bottom line edit. Plus the tabs. How do you know where your focus
> is? My suggestion is that the frame has a border.

Yes, that's one thing and secondly the panel which does not have the
focus must not mark it's children as if they were active.

Take Kontact:

You have 2 list/tree views, the folder view on the left and the mail
list. In each of the two lists, an element is marked as the active
element. This is wrong! They may only be marked as the active element
when the panel actually has the focus, that means when you
clicked/tabbed into the tree or the list view.

The problem with marking both as the active widgets is that the user
never knows when typing a letter will move him within the folder view
and when there will be no effect - try it yourself.. ;-)

Thunderbird does it correctly, see screenshots.