USB and User Fear

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sat Oct 22 16:43:06 CEST 2005

So, I have found an interesting problem with no idea on how to solve it.  It
may not be as serious as a problem as I think, so I bring it up for
discussion.

I have had a few Moderate users ask me about using USB filesystem devices.
These are users who understand Windows very well and are very capable in
Linux (although dont understand a lot of the underlying sys admin and
tweaking options).  They have good habits in Windows, including disconnecting
and unmounting their USB drive before pulling out their stick.  On their Suse
boxes, you dont have to unmount USB, you just pull it out. They however did
not know this, and now that they do, still dont feel comfortable doing it.
Theyre afraid to.  "What if I forget about a file I have open"?

Has anyone else encountered this fear?  Is there anything we can do to teach
converts the differences in USB usage so they feel comfortable about yanking
their sticks?  Do you think we should at least have a popup message the first
time USB is mounted to inform them they dont have to unmount and they can
just pull the stick when theyre done?
--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability