Konqueror Introduction: Home Folder

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 7 01:54:43 CEST 2005

So, I submit these issues to the usability people for your ideas.

In the first page of the Konqueror Introduction -- In Konqueror:

	Help -> Kononqueror Introduction

There is an icon with the title: "Home Folder" and the additional
description "Your personal files".  This icon is a link and the link is
HARD CODED to $HOME.

I see this as a usability issue since if the user has set -- in Control
Center:

	System Administration -> Paths: 'Documents path'

to something other than $HOME, the link is useless.  Their "personal
files" are not in $HOME.  Presuming that users will always use the
default is a design error.

It appears to me that if this icon link is described as: "Your personal
files" that the link should point to a user's "personal files" as set in
the 'Documents path'.

Other questions have been raised:

Should the title of this icon be changed to something else?  I have
suggested "User Files".

Should the icon be changed?  Should it be the house, or a folder based
icon? JRT-HiColor attached.

It would be possible for the name and icon to only be changed if the
'Documents path' didn't point to $HOME.  I don't see this as necessary,
or even a good idea, since the link is supposed to be for: "Your
personal files".

A parallel of this exists in: "system:/" (except that somebody removed:
"Applications" which I think is a mistake).  There is a link: "Home
Folder", but the apparent intent is that it is to reference a user's
personal files -- the same as with "Konqueror Introduction".

There is also the question of whether the default should be that the
'Documents path' is $HOME.  It has been suggested that this is what
users want.  I think that it is a bad idea to store your personal files
in $HOME.  I would suggest $HOME/Files but that brings up i18n issues
for the file name.  KDE doesn't seem to support renaming the displayed
name of the directory.  Perhaps it would be best if KPersonalizer asked
where you wanted to store "Your personal documents" and gave a suggested
i18n default for $HOME/Files.

--
JRT