[DISCUSS] K HIG Toolbars

seele at obso1337.org seele at obso1337.org
Fri Jul 1 14:35:24 CEST 2005

i think the floating toolbar is key to tool-based applications such as
drawing programs.  my two concerns with floating/side toolbars are:

1) is there a better way?
2) how can we define proper context of these kinds of toolbars so they
arnt abused.

i see they are necessary because we dont know of a better way or this *is*
the best way.  in that case we need to define what they are used for and
why.

as a sidenote, id like to comment on something ive heard floating around:

the HIG isnt meant to stifle innovation or interface evolution. it is
meant to give developers guidelines on consistency, function and usability
principles they may not be familiar with.  that doesnt mean developers
cant think outside the box; the hig just protects users from experimental
design that hasnt been tested yet.