dialogs and label alignment

Ellen Reitmayr ellen.reitmayr at relevantive.de
Wed Dec 21 10:19:29 CET 2005

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Sunday 18 December 2005 19:20, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
> beleive it or not, i was just thinking about this issue the other day.
>
> the decision we need to make is actually this:  do we left-align or
> right-align labels in a form window.
>
> if we left-align labels, aaron's example would actually look something (there
> are exceptions of course) like this...
>
> (example 1)
> long label 1: [control]
> label2: [ c o n t r o l  ]

they can also left-align the labels and left-align the columns (as in
Aarons example). that's what kde is supposed to do currently, but not
everybody does it. and it is suboptimal if the label lengths differs
significantly.

at the quality assurance meeting, this topic came up (adriaan addressed
it), and frerich was thinking of ways to test the left-alignment of both
labels and controls automatically. i think he's not yet come with a
solution, but if we decide to change the rules, we should tell him.

/el