Hello

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 9 17:05:34 CEST 2005

Ellen Reitmayr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Yes, the new HIG.  That is why I subscribed to this list.
>>
>> I remain interested in helping with the HIG.  So, I will be around.
>>

> Would you like to outline/draft/write a whole section? That would be
> great - but another thing you could help out with are implementation
> notes :)

While I do have some knowledge in human factors engineering, I do not
consider myself to be enough of an expert to write a whole section.  If
this is to be done by collaboration and discussion, I am willing to help
in discussions and provide ideas on the resolution of specific issues.
My main areas of interest are the menus and toolbars, but I could
probably get up to speed on others as well.

Now that we have the WiKi up again, would it be more appropriate to add
my comments on the current menu design there rather than here.

> Currently, I need some advice on how to implement context sensitive
> help in the status bar (e.g. When user creates a rectangular
> selection in a graphical application, provide a hint 'Press CTRL for
> squared selection'). It would be of great help if anyone could
> provide some code snippets and hints on how to implement this!

I think you need someone with more specific experience with KDE code for
this.

What you suggest would be helpful since it is lacking in The GIMP for
example.  Are you talking sabot something like 'tool tips' (only longer)
that would show up in the status bar after you clicked a toggled toolbar
icon?  That sounds like a good idea -- I always forget what the modifier
keys do in The GIMP.

--
JRT