What is a "Document"?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 2 12:39:40 CEST 2005

Would a data file by any other name be the same? :-)

I think that I should have started farther back. It appears that much of
the attempts at discussion of how to organize a user's HOME directory
comes down to the definition of what files are "documents".

This should be a simple concept, but it isn't and I don't think that the
language barriers helps the situation.

I am told that some users don't keep their video files in the
"Documents" directory because they are not documents (or don't think
that they are).  So, I say that ALL user files should go in that
directory because it is actually the default working directory for all
KDE applications and I am told that configuration files shouldn't go
there (which is correct and I agree).

Someone said:

> Don't forget that the home folder is still the place where are your
> personal files!

Sorry, but I don't quite get the meaning there.

I thought that "User Files" was clear, but probably not clear enough
(even with the comment: "Your personal files").  So if someone can
come up with something that is clearer, I would really appreciate it.

I think that we understand what the 'default working directory' means
and that administration, configuration, binary executables, source
files, and installation files don't go there.  But, clearly, we need
something more concise.  I proposed "User Files" and "Home Folder" for
the two classes of files..  If someone has better ideas, please state
them!!  But, it doesn't help just to say that you don't like my suggestions.

Actually, I think that we understand the concept even if we can't come
with the best words to describe it.

--
JRT