[kde-usa] KDE U.S. NPO

Steve Hay hay.steve at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:07:56 UTC 2012

Just some thoughts, as a newcomer here:

It sounds like there are four possibilities which have not been ruled
out: (1) ASF, (2) SPI, (3) SFC, (4) no sponsor. From here, one
possibility is to downselect and further investigate a subset of these
options. (It sounds like Jeff has done this in the past. He
downselected to SFC on the basis of patent protection and provided a
proposal to the Board.) However, it sounds like the Board prefers to
have a more explicit comparison of the options. What about putting
together an analysis of all four options and make a recommendation
from that?

I have not looked at ASF (Option 1), but it does look like the costs
and benefits of SPI membership (Option 2) is laid out pretty clearly
on their website, so that information (as Jeff said) seems pretty much
at hand. If we have a good idea about what these organizations do for
us, then the no sponsor (Option 4) research is done. Remaining tasks
would be to get the pertinent ASF information and compare the options.

I personally have no expertise in the non-profit area. I am just an
engineer. But living in DC, I have a few friends that work in the
non-profit area and I will poke around to see if I can get any input
or advice from them.

Steve

--
Sent from my iRetina BrainPad