[kde-usa] [kde-promo] KDE Cascadia

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:11:18 UTC 2011

2011/10/18 Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org>:
> On 10/17/2011 01:07 PM, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
>> The last time Camp KDE 2012 came up, Jeff said he was in the process
>> of working an additional proposal out. Jeff, is there anything still
>> going on with this?
>
> Actually, the last time it came up (on campkde-organizers), I suggested
> that we drop the idea of doing standalone annual conferences and instead
> try to have special events/tracks/days at as many other conferences,
> fests, etc. as possible, that we brand these as Camp KDE, KDE Camp, or
> some other name, and that this would be similar to how, say, Ignite
> events are handled.
>
> I can rehash the details of why I think this is the right move, if desired.
>
> Carl was into the idea, but I don't remember anyone else responding.
>
> --Jeff

It would be helpful to consolidate this discussion into one mailing
list...campkde-organizers is probably best. kde-usa has 10
subscribers, and doesn't include everyone who has expressed interest
in campkde. (Subscribe at
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/campkde-organizers).

A rehash shouldn't be necessary. There's an extensive thread available
at campkde-organizers with the subject "Camp KDE at SCaLE? (January
2012)" Jeff's last message (from September 8) went into some detail
about what might be done in the U.S., and included "I'd be interested
in hearing others' opinions on that possibility." There have been no
of) response.

The immediate issue...
There has been some discussion about having CampKDE (or something
similar with a regional focus) at LinuxFest Northwest (LFNW) in
Bellingham April 28 and 29, 2012. I am one of the organizers. The
organizing committee agreed unanimously to support. The sponsors at
Bellingham Technical College (where the event is held) agreed. They
also agreed that students should assist with producing the KDE event.
There is no venue cost. There are publicity advantages in having a
joint event.

There are also drawbacks to the location and event.
Travel costs to Bellingham are higher than those to other
locations...or more of a hassle if people choose to fly into Seattle.

LFNW draws people from the local community. It's neighborly, relaxed,
more-technology-than-marketing. It also draws techies from northern
Californa to British Columbia. That includes Portland--one of the
centers of the FOSS universe. Only a few attendees come from outside
that area. (Presenters are another matter...LFNW has had
internationally recognized speakers.)

Given Jeff's explanation (mentioned above), along with the advantages
and disadvantages of having CampKDE (or something like it) at LFNW,
should we proceed? Will campkde-organizers, kde-usa, kde-promo, KDE
e.V. support this event--CampKDE Cascadia jointly held with LinuxFest
Northwest?

Carl