[kde-promo] Proper Release Notes for 4.11?

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 13:18:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Markus <kamikazow at gmx.de> wrote:
> So, there seems to be no interest in a proper Release Notes document. Too bad
> you guys don't my free contributions...
>

>From your message, it seems that you have come to a conclusion that is
not accurate...there is no interest in a proper Release Notes
document.

I'm definitely interested in such a thing, and in something about
Nepomuk especially. You can see my interest and support in the Dot
article I wrote:
http://dot.kde.org/2011/09/21/nepomuk-stability-and-performance

That article was done as most things in KDE are accomplished. Someone
has a good idea and they implement it. They don't just suggest good
ideas for other people to implement.

Your idea would probably be valuable to many people...users,
developers, people who are interested in KDE. There may be Release
Documentation somewhere, but I don't know where it is. I know about
Release Schedules, Release Plans and Release Announcements (which I
work on). These forms of documentation do not go into the detail that
your suggestion seems to require.

You are welcome to implement your idea and it may get support from
other people. There is no guarantee of that support however.

Almost all people who work on KDE are volunteers, working in their
spare time. They are typically working on projects or tasks that they
are already committed to.

Creating a "proper Release Notes document" is a significant
undertaking. If you are committed to such a project, it would be
helpful to know what you think it would entail. With some detail, you
could probably recruit others to assist with the project.

One place that might be useful for getting started is the KDE Code of
Conduct, especially the section "Be Collaborative".

So...
I, for one, _am_ interested in a proper Release Notes Document. I
don't know whether or not something like this already exists. If
something were developed, I would assist in editing it. Given the KDE
things I'm already doing, I'm not going to initiate this project. I
encourage you to do so; it may be one of the most rewarding and useful
things you'll ever do.

Carl Symons