[RFC] Disable DrKonqi for KWin in stable releases

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Apr 30 12:14:39 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 30 April 2013 14:04:14 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le Tuesday 30 April 2013 13:37:51 Martin Gräßlin a écrit :
> > The nice side effect would be that it would look like improved quality as
> > normaly a user wouldn't notice a KWin crash. It's a short flicker during
> > which the window decorations got recrated, but that's it. Has there been a
> > crash if nobody is there to notice it?
>
> I am still not sure about whether disabling DrKonqi for releases makes sense
> or not, but I'd like to point out the perceived improved quality only works
> if the crash does not happen at startup. In the later case, the user will
> be caught in an endless crash/restart loop.
That's something that cannot happen (I just tested for verification with the
patch and an null pointer access).

KWin crashes twice in a row and disables compositing. That "fixes" most of the
issues with the driver stack. After four crashes in a row KWin is showing a
dialog that KWin is unstable and offers to start a different window manager.
Any issue more severe cannot be caught by DrKonqi anyway (know it, seen it ;-)

--
Martin Gräßlin