Can someone take a look?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Apr 2 15:03:32 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 02 April 2013 15:22:19 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Other projects are not so good at bug triaging, and the current
> Bugzilla
> state for such projects makes it difficult for developers to make
> efficient use of it. If a bug reports stays untriaged for, say, two
> monthes, I think it is not rude to try to contact maintainers using
> alternative ways, as long as your message is constructive and not
> something like "Put your toys aside and look at bug #123456!!!"
>
> This happens regularly to me. Even if I try to improve myself, I am bad
> at enforcing the strict discipline of efficient Bugzilla handling (look
> at the mess of Gwenview bug reports...) and often got to act because a
> user mailed me about a particular report.
Don't diminish your work! I just looked at the stats. Gwenview has a rather
low bug number (just 179 open bugs) and the graph [1] clearly shows that the
number of unconfirmed bugs decreases while the number of confirmed one
slightly increases. And over the last 365 days the number of open bugs
decreased by 85, which is quite impressive! Good job!

Back to the topic of mailing: it really depends. Gwenview is a project with
relatively few new bug reports. Just 218 new reports over the last 365 days.
Compare that to e.g.:
* Dolphin: 580
* KMail2: 735
* Amarok: 817
* KWin: 836
* Plasma: 1904

No matter whether we use Bugzilla correctly (good examples: Dolphin, Amarok
and KWin) or not (bad examples: Plasma) we run in a scalability problem if
users send mails for unanswered bug reports to such projects while it's not a
big problem for a project like gwenview. Because of that I would not recommend
to send mails in  general.

What we are missing is a way to escalate problems. A special mailing list
where users can mail to and members from the KDE community moderate and
delegate to the developers. This could also handle things like "We are sorry
to tell you that Kopete is nowadays unmaintained and recommend you to switch
to the excellent software provided by the KDE Telepathy team"

--
Martin Gräßlin

[1]
https://bugs.kde.org/reports.cgi?product=gwenview&output=show_chart&datasets=CONFIRMED&datasets=ASSIGNED&datasets=REOPENED&datasets=UNCONFIRMED&banner=1