[kde-promo] Dot article for Beta Testing

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed May 30 21:20:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> That looks at lot better.
>
> I think we all still have issues over this paragraph:
>
>>After checking in, you can install the beta preferably through your distribution package manager. If it is not provided there, the beta can be compiled from source. The KDE Community wiki has detailed instructions. When the beta is installed, you can log in and do informal or selected functional testing. Some 4.9 beta applications can be built stand-alone within your KDE 4.8 installation.
>
> I don't like the last line either, and we should remove this too. I
> just discussed this on KDE-quality IRC and we think it will bring more
> questions/confusions than it's worth.
>
> Maybe we can simply replace this whole paragraph with:
>
> "Instructions on running the latest beta can be found at [LINK] this
> will be updated as distribution packages become available."
>
> Then in the wiki we can still have the source section but under a
> caveat of "Compiling from source is really tricky, we don't advise
> this!".
>
> Dave

Still at
http://dot.kde.org/2012/05/30/beta-testing-program

It will be incorporated into the Release Announcement Dot story when
that is published.

Changes made as suggested...kinda. Just tweaked the beta installation
paragraph. People should be able to understand what's involved.

Good idea on the closing paragraph.

I agree with Dave's "compiling from source" suggestion for the wiki.
For ordinary users, it may seem daunting. However there are
courageous/foolhardy people who will want to give it a try. Might as
well let them. "Compiling from source can be tricky. It's best left to
advanced or adventurous users."

Carl