[kde-promo] Dot article for Beta Testing

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:16:10 UTC 2012

Important note...the etherpad version of the Dot story is now an archive only.

The text version is all that sebas and I will be working from. Any
changes and suggestions need to come to me so that I can include them
and get them to sebas.

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Carl Symons <carlsymons at gmail.com> wrote:

>> An edited version of the Dot story is attached. sebas, this can be
>> another section in the Dot Release Announcement similar to
>> http://dot.kde.org/2012/01/25/release-48-features-stability-performance.
>>
>> A few concerns...

>> Is there some information source where potential Beta Testers can
>> contact the Quality Team? If someone wants to do this, is there some
>> formal way of getting involved?
>
> Well, the article says where: #kde-quality. Just getting in touch with
> us is enough to join :) The topic of the channel tells all needed
> information.

In the version of this article referred to here, there is no
occurrence of #kde-quality.

It is clear to you. It wasn't to me. Dot stories go to a lot of
people. Many of them have little or no experience with KDE.

>> Where is the list of functional testing items?
>
> http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Testing/Beta#Upcoming_tests
>
> But we really want people to get in touch with us first, so giving any
> more information is not a good idea, they can get everything needed
> from us

Easy and useful to add.

>> Are there times for the IRC training? How will people know when to show up?
>
> Still to be determined. Again, they need to get in touch with us first.

Claro.

>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Building_An_Existing_Application
>> is more than I would recommend for "anyone who wants to get involved".
>> Ordinary users are not Git-ing.
>
> Erm, we don't ask people to build from git, nor should they install
> anything blindly, all necessary information on how to get a beta
> version is here:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Testing/Beta/InstallingBeta1
>

>From the Dot story...
"The first thing to do is install the beta preferably through your
distribution package manager. If it is not provided there, the beta
can be compiled from source."

At http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Testing/Beta/InstallingBeta1
are instructions for compiling from sources. Following those
instructions leads to Git stuff.

It's understandable that the Quality Team doesn't want people to go
down this path without a guide. The various documents do not support
that wish.

Please let me know how you want this to be handled. Do you want to
advise people not to install from source? In other words, take that
out of the story? Change the community wiki page?

> And to stress this again: they should get in touch with us first. We
> need to know who is testing so we can coordinate, giving away those
> links beforehand is not a good idea IMHO.

Are the activities of both testing groups coordinated? The story gave
me the impression that informal testers install, use and report bugs
with no coordination.

>> This story is going to many people. It's worded to appeal to normal
>> users. The Program needs to be consistent with this.
>
> I don't see any contradiction in this :)

I do...as it's written. I didn't make that comment gratuitously. My
intention is simply to communicate clearly with readers. If it's murky
to me, I'm certain that it will be to others. I'm also the main
moderator of Dot story comments. And coordinate answers when readers
don't understand.

I will add the information from what you and sebas sent.

Carl