[kde-promo] Dot article for Beta Testing

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed May 30 07:23:39 UTC 2012

Hi Carl,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Carl Symons <carlsymons at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Friday, May 25, 2012 13:54:09 Carl Symons wrote:

> An edited version of the Dot story is attached. sebas, this can be
> another section in the Dot Release Announcement similar to
> http://dot.kde.org/2012/01/25/release-48-features-stability-performance.
>
> A few concerns...

> Is there some information source where potential Beta Testers can
> contact the Quality Team? If someone wants to do this, is there some
> formal way of getting involved?

Well, the article says where: #kde-quality. Just getting in touch with
us is enough to join :) The topic of the channel tells all needed
information.

> Where is the list of functional testing items?

http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Testing/Beta#Upcoming_tests

But we really want people to get in touch with us first, so giving any
more information is not a good idea, they can get everything needed
from us

> Are there times for the IRC training? How will people know when to show up?

Still to be determined. Again, they need to get in touch with us first.

> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Building_An_Existing_Application
> is more than I would recommend for "anyone who wants to get involved".
> Ordinary users are not Git-ing.

Erm, we don't ask people to build from git, nor should they install
anything blindly, all necessary information on how to get a beta
version is here:

http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Testing/Beta/InstallingBeta1

And to stress this again: they should get in touch with us first. We
need to know who is testing so we can coordinate, giving away those
links beforehand is not a good idea IMHO.

> This story is going to many people. It's worded to appeal to normal
> users. The Program needs to be consistent with this.

I don't see any contradiction in this :)

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org