Version number consistency

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at
Wed May 16 12:28:56 UTC 2012

Hi all,

while adding version numbers to plasma on bugzilla we ran into some
strange inconsistency for the beta and RC numbering.

I assumed the following numbers are used for betas and release candidates:

x.x.80 -> beta1
x.x.85 -> beta2
x.x.90 -> beta3
x.x.95 -> RC1
x.x.98 -> RC2
(x.x.99 -> RC3)

but the last 4 releases of KDE seem to have a rather inconsistent
numbering in that regard.

It would be nice to stay with one single pattern to avoid confusion.
It would also make the version setting of the various KDE core
components on b.k.o easier, and I think the distributions would also
welcome a more consistent numbering. How about a note on ?

Regards, Myriam