4.9 Beta Phase is approaching: what needs to be done?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed May 9 09:46:11 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
<annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:
> On 05/06/2012 10:19 PM, David Edmundson wrote:

>> Do we have a more advanced plan on testing? Should we have a checklist
>> of "apps to check"?
>
> My proposal was to have 2 sorts of beta testing:
> - informal testing where testers install the beta and use it as they wish
> (they would probably use mostly apps they normally use) which was what was
> done in previous releases
> - specific apps to test in a more thorough way (going through all the GUI
> elements, trying all the settings,...). This would need a list of proposed
> apps. Edu apps could be included there as I know devels are quite
> respondent
> to bugs. I was also thinking about common applets. Not apps like KMail or
> Konqueror which are too big. Focus on new apps/applets for this release.
> KCMs also are good candidates. So it's already quite a list.

What we should keep in mind is to have test lists:
- what needs to be tested and how. This should be an open list as
developers and users tend to use software in different ways. Ideally
this would allow to gather test cases from users in the long run.
- specific lists to test new features

> Are we having
> some IRC based "bug squishing days" if so do we want to propose some dates
> for that.I think we need to have people on IRC in #kde-quality and
> #kde-bugs
> on May 29th, 30th and maybe we can set the next week-end as formal "bug
> week-end" (that would be 2 and 3rd June)

I am usually around on both lists, but it is important developers are
around as well.

> We can also set up some "awards" for beta testers if the eV has some
> goodies
> for us to dispatch. I'll ask them of they have t-shirts and mugs or so.
> Then
> we can decide if we go for this and how.

That seems a bit tricky, as we would need clear criteria on these
"awards", or did you plan to award all testers?

Regards, Myriam

PS: keep in mind the collaboration tool we already use:
https://trello.com/kdetesting
http://www.fsfe.org