[Kde-pim] Reminder: BugDays for Kmail on 18/19 and 25/26 August - please join the fun!

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sat Aug 18 11:20:36 UTC 2012

Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Saturday 18 August 2012 11:18:30 laurent Montel wrote:
>> Heu... Myriam
>> I don't understand why you close all kmail1 as unmaintained ?
>>
>> I thought that you will look at if it's reproductable on kmail2 and migrate
>> to kmail2 or close it.
>>
>> But close all kmail1 bug is a very  bad idea
> speaking as a heavy bugzilla user with a clean database I have to disagree on
> this point.
>
> In my humble opinion just closing all KMail1 bugs is the only possible and
> sane option at hand. Let's just face the facts: there are 1190 open KMail1
> bugs and an additional 692 open KMail 2 bugs. This is all without counting the
> wishlists items.

I have to disagree with this: we are not talking about crash reports or bugs
(closing the old ones is perfectly fine), but only about wishlist. Wishlist
have an history, closing it down is losing information.
This also means that when you publish triumphalistic articles about the number
of bugs closed, you are basically lying, because the issue is not solved at
all, just hidden under the carpet.

I have to disagree with the fact that KMail 2 is completely different from
KMail1; many of the wishlist are about the graphical part (rendering of
something, etc), which is not so different from the KMail1 version. And the
last KMail1 was in 4.4, so beginning of 2010, not 2007.

I understand that someone prefers to have wishlist out of bugzilla, but this
does not mean that all the people would like this.

If you don't have the resources for handling wishlist, that's fine: my
suggestion is either to:
- just don't touch them or:
- "close" them with NEEDINFO instead, which is more realistic (you are waiting
for confirmation if the wish still applies, and it's less harsh than seeing as
CLOSED)

KMail, as you said, have many other bugs with a higher priority then wishlist.

Regards
--
Luigi