New Hangouts Plugin

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:40:29 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk
> wrote:

> I just got forwarded a link from Tiagosh regarding a new backend for
> Google Hangouts.
>
> https://github.com/tiagosh/telepathy-hanging/
> it requires https://github.com/tiagosh/libhangish/ and up-to-date
> telepathy-qt.
>
> Offline messages work, group chats work. It looks very encouraging.
>
> Worth checking out and contributing to. I see that Kaffeine has already :D
>
> From a KTp side we need to the account creation side, I had to create it
> with:
>
>  mc-tool add hanging/hangouts google string:account=
> davidedmundson39 at gmail.com stri
> ng:password=hunter2
>
> I'm not sure how we go about adding this with the new auth stuff.
> Martin, could you give some pointers.

Every new account type requires a provider. That is a simple XML file with
the provider definition.
You can basically imagine that provider == account (like Google etc); we
use "Account" in UIs.

Each provider requires a service file, another XML file with description of
the service. For Telepathy,
additionally the services also specify the connection manager and protocol
they require (this is
for the MC plugin to pick it up).

Now one of these files requires an auth method set. In theory (I haven't
tested), libsignon
should collect all auth methods from all services for given provider and
then request a superset
of these auth methods from the UI (like signon-ui).

So, we already have a provider for Google, therefore all that should be
needed is a new service
file for this plugin, which needs to have an auth method specified _iff_
it's different from the
one that the Google provider/service already have (I think they have only
oauth2 now) and
it requires to have the connection manager and protocol set and that is
all. It might also require
a UI plugin if there are some things to configure but that can come later.

For details see kde:ktp-accounts-kcm/data/kaccounts and
kde:kaccounts-providers.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer